Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Ipswich Town vs Bristol City. Sky Bet Championship.

Portman RoadAttendance15,256.

Ipswich Town 1

  • M Waghorn (41st minute)

Bristol City 3

  • J Brownhill (2nd minute)
  • F Diedhiou (31st minute)
  • B Reid (82nd minute)

Ipswich 1-3 Bristol City: Robins keep up unbeaten run

Press Association

Saturday 30 September 2017 19:02, UK

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Ipswich Town and Bristol City

Bristol City extended their unbeaten run to 11 matches as they beat Ipswich 3-1 to move up to fifth in the Sky Bet Championship.

Josh Brownhill, Famara Diedhiou and Bobby Reid found the net to secure City's first win at Portman Road for 39 years. Martyn Waghorn replied for Ipswich but Mick McCarthy's side slipped to their second defeat in three matches.

Both sides made a change from their previous midweek games. Ipswich included Tristan Nydam in place of Tom Adeyemi from the team which beat Sunderland 5-2 while Bristol City, who brushed aside Bolton 2-0, featured Brownhill at the expense of the suspended Marlon Pack.

The visitors stunned the home fans when they took the lead in the second minute. Deidhiou broke upfield and the ball was fed out to the right to Jamie Paterson who crossed for Brownhill to shoot past Bartosz Bialkowski.

In the 21st minute Bristol City came close to increasing their lead when Reid's shot hit the crossbar. Then two minutes later the ball broke loose to Joe Garner who was clear on goal but was crowded out by City defenders Aden Flint, Nathan Baker and Joe Bryan as he tried to get in a shot.

Famara Diedhiou during the pre-season match between Bristol City and FC Twente at Ashton Gate on July 28, 2017
Image: Famara Diedhiou scored for Bristol City

In the 27th minute good build-up between David McGoldrick and Garner resulted in the ball being fed to Bersant Celina whose shot from just outside the area went narrowly wide.

City extended their lead in the 31st minute when Diedhiou climbed above the Ipswich defence to head home a cross from the left by Paterson.

More on this story

Ipswich pulled a goal back in the 41st minute when McGoldrick fed Jonas Knudson out on the left and his cross was knocked home by Waghorn off the underside of the bar. Then in injury time a corner from the left by Paterson was headed goalwards by Flint but was tipped over the bar by Bialkowski.

In the 50th minute McGoldrick played the ball forward to Garner whose shot from just outside the penalty area was fisted clear by Fielding. A corner taken by Paterson resulted in the ball making its way to Reid who played in Flint but his shot went over the bar.

Jonathan Leko came on to replace Paterson in the 74th minute and eight minutes later he won a corner which came out to Brownhill who fed Reid and his shot was deflected into the net by Knudsen to confirm the victory.

The managers

Mick McCarthy: "It's frustrating but they (Bristol) deserved to win. After three minutes the goal took the wind out of our sails. They are a good team and they coped very well. It helps if you are 1-0 up after three minutes and for us to not get a foothold in the game.

"They handled it particularly well and they took their chances. I thought that we were a threat in the first half but not in the second half and they looked sharper."

Lee Johnson: "I was delighted it's a really difficult place to come particularly with the form that Ipswich are in there was a lot of talk about obviously the threat of their front four. I thought first half we dealt with it quite well and we played some good stuff and we had the lion's share of opportunities, the lion's share of possession and we worked our socks off.

"I think that their goal could have had the potential to kill us a bit, obviously the timing of it and allowing Ipswich to build their confidence and grow in stature in the game and I thought in the second half we showed our steel."