Skip to content
Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Livingston vs St Mirren. Scottish Premiership.

Tony Macaroni ArenaAttendance2,120.

Livingston 1

  • T Yengi (48th minute)

St Mirren 0

    Livingston 1-0 St Mirren: Bottom side just three points behind Ross County after first league win since October

    Match report as Livingston secured their first cinch Premiership win since October with victory at home to St Mirren

    Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

    Highlights of the Scottish Premiership match between Livingston and St Mirren.

    Livingston recorded a league victory for the first time since October after defeating St Mirren 1-0 to breathe new life into their cinch Premiership survival hopes.

    Tete Yengi slammed home in first-half injury-time to earn the hosts a priceless win that has reduced the gap between them and their nearest rivals Ross County to just three points.

    St Mirren were awarded a penalty with 13 minutes remaining, but Shamal George came up with a vital save to keep out Mikael Mandron's spot-kick and end Livi's run of 17 games without a league win.

    How Livingston sealed crucial win

    LIVINGSTON, SCOTLAND - FEBRUARY 17: Livingston's Tete Yengi celebrates scoring to make it 1-0 with teammates during a cinch Premiership match between Livingston and St Mirren at the Tony Macaroni Arena, on February 17, 2024, in Livingston, Scotland. (Photo by Rob Casey / SNS Group)
    Image: Livingston's Tete Yengi celebrates with teammates after scoring against St Mirren

    Marcus Fraser glanced Greg Kiltie's teasing cross wide of the target as St Mirren threatened in the opening exchanges.

    Saints were trying to force the issue and Mandron just failed to get the break of the ball after Scott Tanser fizzed over a low delivery.

    Livingston almost opened the scoring with their first attack of the match as Andrew Shinnie's header struck the inside of a post, however, the effort would have been unlikely to count due to a late flag from the assistant referee.

    Zach Hemming in the away goal had been a virtual spectator for the majority of the first half-hour, but he would be forced into a good save when he punched away Stephen Kelly's powerful strike.

    Also See:

    The offside flag spared the blushes of Scott with seven minutes remaining in the first half. George could only parry Caolan Boyd-Munce's low drive as far as the striker, who somehow turned the ball over the top from inside the six-yard box.

    In the final minutes of the half, Boyd-Munce saw his long-range shot drift wide before the home side opened the scoring three minutes into added time.

    Ayo Obileye's rose highest to meet Kelly's corner and Hemming was only able to divert the ball into the path of Yengi who slammed home.

    It was the first time since August that Livi had held a lead at half-time, but it almost proved to be short-lived as Stephen Robinson's men began the second half on the front foot.

    Kiltie collected Mandron's lay-off and blasted past the keeper, only for an incredible headed clearance by Michael Nottingham to prevent what looked like a certain leveller.

    The visitors would pass up further opportunities when Tanser nodded past the post and Kwon Hyeok-kyu failed to hit the target with a volley from the edge of the box.

    Robinson made a double change when he introduced Kyle Baccus and Olutoysi Olusanya for Keanu Baccus and Kwon - and the change almost paid dividends.

    Referee Euan Anderson waved play on when Olusanya hit the deck inside the area following a challenge by Carson. A lengthy VAR check would follow and the visitors were awarded a penalty.

    Mandron was tasked with dispatching from the spot, though George would dive low to deny the former Motherwell striker.

    The game was almost put beyond doubt when Hemming's poor kick landed at the feet of Kelly, and his audacious effort from 40 yards crept just past the post with the Saints goalkeeper chasing.

    Seven minutes of added time were met with anxious groans from the home supporters and they survived close scares when Mandron and Charles Dunne both failed to convert gilt-edged chances.

    What the managers said...

    Livingston manager David Martindale: "I am happy for the group. The group has to take massive credit and I am delighted for them.

    "When you are in an adverse situation and every week that hole gets bigger, there is a lot of anxiety and stress.

    "The squad and staff have stayed buoyant - they have always been positive and I am delighted for them."

    St Mirren assistant manager Diarmuid O'Carroll: "I thought we were brilliant, it was just one of those days in front of goal.

    "We came here with a gameplan, we wanted to get the ball down and play, try create chances, put the ball into the box and sustain attacks - they did that to the letter.

    "I think on any other day we win that game based on chances, but credit to Livingston, they battled, they fought and it shows you that they are right there for Davie."

    What's next?

    Livingston's next Scottish Premiership match is away to Ross County on February 24, while St Mirren are at home to St Johnstone.

    Both games kick off at 3pm.

    Win £250,000 with Super 6!
    Win £250,000 with Super 6!

    Correctly predict six scorelines to win £250,000 for free with Super 6. Entries by 3pm Saturday.

    Around Sky