Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Stoke City vs Barnsley. Sky Bet Championship.

Bet365 StadiumAttendance17,832.

Stoke City 1

  • S Surridge (17th minute)
  • T Smith (sent off 85th minute)

Barnsley 1

  • C Woodrow (38th minute)

Stoke City 1-1 Barnsley: Brad Collins the hero as Tykes earn draw after late touchline row

Report and highlights from the Sky Bet Championship clash between Stoke City and Barnsley at the bet365 Stadium as goalkeeper Brad Collins saved a penalty and made a string of fine saves to earn a point for the Tykes

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Stoke City and Barnsley.

Mario Vrancic's first-half penalty miss proved costly as 10-man Stoke were held to a 1-1 draw by Barnsley in an ill-tempered Championship clash.

The hosts, who had won three of their previous four league games, would have fired themselves into the top two were it not for Brad Collins' superb save just before the break.

After Tommy Smith was sent off late on for the home side, Stoke coaches Dean Holden and Rory Delap, plus Barnsley assistant Joe Laumann were also shown red cards following an ugly touchline melee.

The visitors were indebted to goalkeeper Collins, who was in inspired form on what was a frustrating night for in-form Stoke.

It was quite a slow-paced start at the bet365 Stadium and it took nine minutes for the first opportunity to arrive.

Smith whipped in a super cross towards the far post for Vrancic, but he was denied by a smart last-ditch intervention from Barnsley wide man Toby Sibbick.

Sixty seconds later the visitors came mighty close to a breakthrough.

Also See:

Romal Palmer touched a neat pass into Cauley Woodrow's path and he saw a curling strike from 20 yards brilliantly palmed behind by Stoke stopper Joe Bursik.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

It all got a bit heated at the Bet365 Stadium as three coaches received red cards following this touchline bust-up!

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

David Prutton and Michael Morrison examine the huge touchline bust-up between the Stoke and Barnsley coaching staffs at the bet365 Stadium.

Stoke then broke the deadlock after 17 minutes. Smith whipped in another cross which Michal Helik tried and failed to clear, leaving Sam Surridge an easy task of tapping his fourth goal of the season past Collins.

Stoke's tails were up by the midway point in the first half and Surridge this time made a hash of another precise cross from Smith.

With Barnsley going through something of a shaky spell, Vrancic also tried his luck from distance, but Collins was equal to the task.

Markus Schopp's visitors appeared badly in need of some inspiration and they certainly got it seven minutes before the interval.

After Callum Styles had been needlessly bundled over, Woodrow stepped up and curled a free-kick spectacularly into the top corner of the net from 22 yards out to level the scores.

The hosts then fluffed a great opportunity to retake the lead with the final kick of the first half.

After Surridge had been clipped by Collins in the box and a penalty awarded by referee Leigh Doughty, the clearly-aggrieved Barnsley goalkeeper dramatically responded by superbly palming Vrancic's spot-kick onto the crossbar and away to safety.

Barnsley were brighter at the start of the second period but this was turning into a real ding-dong battle, with Collins then producing a breathtaking point-blank save to keep out Vrancic's header.

The tempo dipped again as the final 15 minutes approached, though Woodrow threatened again when he side-footed the ball narrowly wide from 15 yards.

Stoke substitute Sam Clucas was denied by another excellent Collins save with 10 minutes to go, before the hosts' cause was further hampered by Smith's straight red card in the 85th minute following a lunge on substitute Claudio Gomes.

The later touchline clash took further shine off an otherwise entertaining encounter as the spoils were shared.

What the managers said...

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Michael O’Neill discusses the eventful 1-1 draw between Stoke and Barnsley that saw one player and three coaches sent off, a penalty save and world class free kick!

Stoke's Michael O'Neill: "We were trying to win the game and Dean went in there trying to get the ball back. It was clear the Barnsley staff were trying to slow the game down, but a punch was thrown and the next thing you know there's 20 or 30 people involved.

"There was nothing really behind it, other than us trying to retrieve the ball. I won't ever be angry with my staff for that. We were attempting to get the game going again and trying to win the game with 10 men. I'm not sure how we ended with two of our staff being sent off, but I've no issue with my staff sticking up for one another."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Barnsley head coach Markus Schopp has his say after Barnsley’s 1-1 draw at Stoke, where three coaches were sent off.

Barnsley's Markus Schopp: "It all started with the Smith red card I think. The Stoke staff weren't happy. It was an unnecessary situation, but I didn't see too much of it. Maybe we should have been a bit more quiet but the Stoke staff had been shouting at ours. There had been arguing after the player had been sent off. Both teams were clearly desperate to get the three points and this is sometimes what can happen.

"Brad was like a wall between the goal. His performance was unbelievable. It was a really special day for us and I'm delighted. He always does a great job for us and he proved that tonight."

Win £250,000 with Super 6!

Win £250,000 with Super 6!

Another Saturday, another chance to win £250,000 with Super 6. Play for free, entries by 3pm.

Around Sky